Thursday 21 May 2009

If there's a problem epoxy can't fix - I'd love to see it.

In a recent post I mentioned that we'd had some engine problems.
Earlier in the week i'd tried to bleed the air out of the fuel system and opened up a bolt that is used for this purpose (See "1" below). However when I tried to tighten it again it just spun and spun. Upon closer inspection there was almost no thread left inside the fuel filter head unit. I suspect that the previous owner was a bit overzealous with the spanner.
I tried using PTFE tape and replacing the bolt, but as soon as the engine started fuel just flowed round the edges and onto the floor.

I took a trip over to Brohall Marin to ask some advice. The owner, Goran, advised tape, failing that it is a new head unit (See "2" above). Another 1000SEK later I was walking back to the pontoon. Since the part was not due to arrive for another day or two I had to bodge a solution. Looking through all the stuff we had in stock I found a glue that claimed to work on metals. I tested a spot of it on cardboard and it seemed to dry spongy, which should have been ideal. The bolt was dipped in the glue and rethreaded as tightly as possible. In order to give the best chance of success I left it overnight.

The next morning I restarted the engine and it appeared OK. Becks checked it 15 minutes later and it had started to leak again. My last ditch attempt was to buyy some quick drying Epoxy and try again. The local shop, Bullandö Handel sold some 15 minute epoxy, which was perfect. I cleaned off the parts, mixed the epoxy, dipped, screwed and waited. Fortunately the engine was nice and warm, so the drying was quick.

After 20 minutes we started the engine and Becks reported no leaks. We checked periodically throughout the day and all was good. Clearly this is not ideal as I am now unable to bleed that part of the fuel system now, but its only for a few days until we get the replacement part.

No comments:

Post a Comment