Wednesday 1 April 2009

Yachting Monthly - May 2009 Propeller Test

Preview: Yachting Monthly May

Looks like the next issue of Yachting Monthly has a big review of propellers in the market place. Having just bought a new prop, this is just the sort of article that you don't want to read. I'm going to speculate that the Bruntons Varifold will be worst in class (only on the grounds that it's the one we've just bought). I'm also going to speculate that the ones I was considering will be best in class (Gori & Bruntons Autoprop).

OK... Pessimism over... I hope the article actually considers sailing performance (drag) as well as just motoring & manouvering performance as this was one of the key decision points that lead us to chose a 2 blade folding prop over other, better motor performing models. I'm not sure how easily you can test this without the use of some sort of tank that flows water over the subject and measures resistive force on the mounting.

No comments:

Post a Comment